5 Facts about UNRWA
Broadcasting UN Entity
UNRWA: 5 Facts about the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees
- The United Nations has been working in the Middle East region around the clock to de-escalate the Israeli-Palestinian crisis by engaging key actors and providing emergency assistance to civilians on the ground.
- The United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees(UNRWA) provides assistance and protection for registered Palestine refugees.
- UNRWA human development and humanitarian services encompass primary and vocational education, primary health care, relief and social services, infrastructure and camp improvement, microfinance and emergency response, including in situations of armed conflict
- UNRWA is unique in terms of its long-standing commitment to one group of refugees. It has contributed to the welfare and human development off our generations of Palestine refugees, defined as "persons whose normal place of residence was Palestine during the period1 June 1946 to 15May 1948, and who lost both home and means of livelihood as a result of the 1948 War." The descendants of Palestine refugee males, including legally adopted children, are also eligible for registration.
- UNRWA services are available to all those living in its areas of operations who meet this definition, who are registered with the Agency and who need assistance. When the Agency began operations in 1950, it was responding to the needs of about750,000 Palestine refugees. Today, some 5.9 million Palestine refugees are eligible for UNRWA services.