Bringing together senior journalists and participants in the Journeys of Belonging video series, the panel discussion explores how well today’s media reflect cultural diversity. What new editorial initiatives strive to reflect diversity in the news? Can journalists improve understanding of diverse cultures? And if they can, is it their place to do so?
The panel discussion aimed at launching the multimedia project “Journeys of Belonging: A Conversation on Diversity in the Media” was organized by the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNOAC), the British Council and the University of Missouri School of Journalism.
- Joe Klein (moderator), political columnist & editor at large, Time
- Dori J. Maynard, president, Maynard Institute for Journalism Education
- Alicia Stewart, CNN.com Identity editor
- Aziz Abu Sarah, executive director, Center for World Religions, Diplomacy and Conflict Resolution, George Mason University
- Elizabeth Birch, president of Birch & Company, former executive director of the Human Rights Campaign
Contact: Stéphanie Durand, UNAOC Strategic Media Partnerships Manager