The 4th Syria Humanitarian Forum took place on 16 July 2012 in Geneva against the backdrop of an appalling deterioration in the humanitarian situation.
Around 350 representatives of member states, regional organizations, UN agencies and non-governmental organizations participated.
The Forum complimented humanitarian agencies for having boosted operations in the face of an incredibly complex and dangerous environment. Food aid is now reaching 850,000 people, and more than 100,000 displaced people have received mattresses, blankets, kitchen sets and other vital supplies in the last four weeks.
However, the Forum acknowledged that appeals are only 20 per cent funded. Without additional funds, current operations are in jeopardy of being closed down. Donors pledged to address under-funding as a matter of urgency.
Following the meeting, the following participants came to a stakeout position to brief the press:
- Mr. John Ging, Director, Coordination and Response Division, United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA),
- Mr. Claus Sorensen, Director-General, European Community Humanitarian office (ECHO), European Commission
- Mr. Sulaiman Al Awadi, Director, Islamic Cooperation Humanitarian Affairs Department (ICHAD), Organization of Islamic Cooperation
- Mr. Radhouane Nouicer, UN Regional Humanitarian Coordinator for Syria
- Mr. Panos Moumtzis, Regional Refugee Coordinator, Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)