Kandeh Yumkella, Special Representative for Sustainable Energy For All - UN Radio Interview
Mr. Kandeh Yumkella answered the following questions:
1. How would you describe the challenge of energy security and affordability in the world today especially in relation to Climate Change and Sustainable development?
2. What exactly are expecting to achieve at this Second Sustainable Energy For All Forum?
3. I see that participants are coming from government, business and civil society. Describe for us why and how this mix of attendees will help address the crucial issues of energy security around the world? What role do you expect business entities to play and how?
3. What new commitments for energy action do you expect?
4. This forum is expected to build momentum on energy issues ahead of the September summit and the December Climate Conference in Paris. How is this going to be done?
5. There are 17 sustainable development goals in the pipeline for adoption in September with 169 sub-targets. What would you say to those who feel that this is over-ambitious given the sheer number of goals and targets?
6. According to some estimate, achieving the proposed SDGs would be costly. While the developed countries have yet to honour their promise to provide 0.7% of GDP in official aid, can we expect them to come up with more ambitious commitments and more importantly to honour them?
7. As the Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Sustainable Energy for All, can you share with us more your vision of the strategy to help facilitate to achieve the goals?