- Mr. Volker Türk, United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights
- Ms. Rosemary DiCarlo, Under Secretary-General, Department of Political and Peacebuilding Affairs
- Ms Elizabeth Spehar, Assistant Secretary-General for Peacebuilding Support
Presentation of the three topics:
- Human rights and Prevention
- Human Rights and Peace operations
- Human Rights and Inequalities
- Highlight the contribution of human rights, actual and potential, to conflict prevention, peacekeeping, peace-making and peacebuilding.
- Facilitate a multidisciplinary dialogue among experts and stakeholders to share experiences, insights, and best practices and consider ways in which human rights could strengthen the effectiveness of the UN's work on peace and security.
- Identify strategies and practical steps for advancing human rights as a central pillar in international efforts to maintain peace and security in accordance with the vision of the Charter of the United Nations and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, as a contribution to the intergovernmental dialogue taking place in the lead up of the Summit of the Future.
In 2023, the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) launched Human Rights 75, a transformative initiative aimed at reinvigorating human rights on the 75th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR). The Initiative focuses on promoting universality, progress and engagement on human rights. The aim is to build momentum and support for a universal, solution-oriented approach that leverages the potential of human rights to help keep the peace, transform fractured societies, and prevent crisis.
As the world transitions to a new order, it is imperative that voices advocating for human rights-based approaches resonate strongly. Human rights should always serve as a versatile tool, adaptable to various models, for preventing conflicts, resolving disputes, and fostering sustainable peace.