Opportunities for older women to exercise their "right to participate", as well as potential barriers, will be explored by prominent women, political leaders, and experts from around the world. Civil society will make the argument that ageism is exponentially impacted by sexism and that older people, including women, should be protected by an international legal Instrument on the rights of older persons.
Speakers : Welcome and Introduction:
- Ms. Margaret Gillis, President, International Longevity Centre (ILC Canada) Canada and Co-President ILC Global Alliance
- The Right Honourable Adrienne Clarkson, 26th Governor General of Canada. Ms. Clarkson will speak about her establishment of the Institute for Canadian Citizenship in her post-vicregal life and discuss ageism and its impact on older women.
- Ambassador Enrique Manalo (Philippines). Ambassador Manalo will discuss how older women in the Philippine's have impacted their communities. The need for the protection of the rights of older women and the corresponding need for a United Nations convention on the rights of older persons will be discussed. The work of the Philippines to support a UN convention and their important role on the Bureau will be highlighted.
- Dr. Emem Omokaro, Director General, Nigeria's National Senior Citizens Centre. Dr. Omokara will discuss the important contribution of older women in Nigeria highlighting the human rights violations they have experienced and the need for a UN convention on the rights of older persons.
- Ambassador Bob Rae Canada (invited). Ambassador Rae will discuss the right to participate and the contribution of older women to Canadian society. He will highlight the work of the Canadian government to support older women.
- Dr. Anne Collins, Past President, Canadian Medical Association.
- Dr. Collins will discuss the important role of older women in health human resources and as caregivers. She will discuss these issues from a rights perspective and highlight the long-term commitment of the CMA for a UN convention on the rights of older persons.
- Ms. Claudia Mahler, UN Independent Expert on the Enjoyment of Human Rights of Older People will present her report to the 76th General Assembly on older women highlighting the right to participate and the need for a UN convention on the rights of older persons.
- Margaret thanks speakers and introduces Dr. Kiran Rabheru, Chair, ILC Canada, and Chair, Steering Group, Global Alliance on the Rights of Older Persons.
- Q and A and Closing Moderator: Dr. Rabheru will moderate questions