From UNEA to General Assembly: Taking action for Sustainable Lake Management - as a catalyst to accelerate global commitment in the Water Action Agenda (UN 2023 Water Conference Side Event)
Broadcasting UN Entity
Water Conference Side Event of the United Nations Environmental Program and the Ministry of Environment and Forestry of Indonesia on "Taking action for Sustainable Lake Management - as a catalyst to accelerate global commitment in the Water Action Agenda"
This side event calls upon new commitments and actions for:
- Protection, conservation, restoration and sustainable use of lakes, wetlands and other inland freshwater ecosystems, in an integrated management of the entire basin or watershed;
- Implementation of the UNEA Resolution No. UNEP/EA.5/Res.4 on Sustainable Lake Management;
- Addressing environmental conditions related lakes, wetlands and other inland freshwater ecosystems such as water pollution and land degradation, while taking the diverse values stemming from those efforts into ecosystem services and benefits for food, health, energy, biodiversity, climate change mitigation and adaptation, disaster risk reduction, livelihoods, as well as other economic and social co-benefits;
- Engaging all related stakeholders, particularly local communities, women and youth, in a concerted efforts;
- Enhancing collaboration to accelerate the action on lakes, wetlands and other inland freshwater ecosystems, for the attainment of the Water Action Agenda, including Water for Health and Water for Climate, Resilience, and Environment.