Stakeholder Perspectives on Implementing the UNGPs across the Global South - Forum on Business and Human Rights 2023
Broadcasting UN Entity
Day 2 (Room XIX) - Stakeholder Perspectives on Implementing the UNGPs across the Global South - 12th United Nations Forum on Business and Human Rights 27 - 29 November 2023
Brief description of the session:
- Ensuring corporative respect for human rights and the implementation of the UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights (UNGPs) requires active participation and collaboration between businesses, civil society, academia, grassroots activists, human rights lawyers, and impacted rightsholders. By putting these perspectives in dialogue with each other, this session aims to identify what actions by businesses, States, human rights defenders, and other key stakeholders are driving real change across the Global South.
- This session will consider how each stakeholder plays a crucial role in ensuring the effective implementation of the UNGPs and promoting respect for human rights in business operations. It will explore challenges and solutions on key topics, including community resettlements, remediation processes, human rights due diligence, measurement, and reporting. This session will also be an opportunity to share practical examples from the Global South on how the UNGPs have been implemented to leave a positive and measurable impact on rightsholders.
- Discuss how businesses can measure and report on change through international reporting frameworks such as the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), sustainability reports, and regular human rights impact assessments;
- Analyse how businesses can balance and integrate their management of human rights risks, in line with the UNGPs, with other corporate priorities to drive the human rights agenda forward and reduce their adverse impact on rightsholders;
- Discuss how judicial and non-judicial grievance mechanisms, State-based and non-state-based, can ensure access to effective remedy.
- Identify what avenues for remediation bring meaningful, inclusive, and long-lasting change for impacted rightsholders and what makes them different;
- Share positive practical examples.
- Moderator : Mariana Abreu
- Speakers : Dorothée Baumann Pauly, Victoria de Mello, Aditi Wanchoo, Dhahana Putra, Elaine Santana, Brigadier Siachitema